Sunday, May 27, 2012

the beach

Two weeks ago we went away with Jonathan's mom and siblings to North Myrtle Beach for a couple days and were able to just retreat from the world.  It was so nice! I LOVE the beach.  Seriously. There's something in my soul that just rests at the beach.  I could do without the commercial, touristy, flesh scene but the nature itself is sheer bliss.  When I'm at the beach I realize just how naturalistic I am in my relationship with God.  I feel like I'm able to see glimpses of how mighty He is and how limited and finite I am! This vacation I thought a lot about how tiny and low to the ground our man made society is and yet how often it captivates all of my time and attention.  Walking on the beach I could look up and see how indescribably huge and unending the sky and atmosphere are compared to the couple hundred vertical yards of what we call society. When, for a second, my mind has a glimpse of how much bigger God is than me, I wonder why I don't gaze on him more but get caught up in this world here. I think this is a huge success for the devil. If he can just keep my attention on this egocentric world man has made, I will forget God. I'll start to live for things made by human hands instead of living for things that are made by God and never fade or perish.  I'll waste my life.  Oh how easy it is to live a distracted life,  succeeding in man's world but failing in God's. Lord, may I live for your kingdom and not man's. May I devote myself to things that will last beyond the grave.May Colossians 3:1-4 characterize my life:

May I "seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set my mind on things above, not on things that are on earth. For I have died, and my life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is my life appears, then I also will appear with him in glory" (Col 3:1-4)

And now that I'm done ruminating... here's some pics from our vacation. :) 

(a lot of phone shots as I didn't take my camera on the beach) 

 Training her to be a beach bum from an early age 

 I love this picture of Eliza and Aunt Julianne. :) 

 Mother's Day morning Eliza, Jonathan, and I went on a walk. If I had to dream up my perfect morning it would be walking on the beach with my family. Thank you Jonathan! 

One of the HIGHLIGHTS of our time at the beach was Eliza starting to walk while holding on to someone. She'd been "furniture walking" for about a week but was to timid to walk without anything in front of her (um yes, she's extremely timid with just about everything... you should have seen how scared she was with the waves! Poor thing. We stayed clear of them and pretty much just played in the sand)


 And once she learned how much fun life is vertically she was pulling up on everything. 

...which tended to wear her out! :) This was at dinner one night and she had just had enough. We were so tickled because she's normally so alert but right in the middle of the restaurant she decided she should just take a quick snooze! 


 Finally, pictures with my camera. :) My beautiful mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I love being related to them! 


 Jonathan with his mom, brother, and sister 

The only family pic we snapped... not the best but I love Eliza's face.

Eliza clinging to her dadda because she was afraid of the water. This is a perfect picture to capture her pose for anything new on the vacation.  After a little while though she'd warm up and be her usual sweet self... 



That's all for now. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment